AppBridge Surveyor uses Connections to scan and report on critical aspects of your G Suite (formerly Google Apps) environment.
2. Access to the Transformation Suite and selected Transformation Project
Best Practice: Using the Google Service Account Connection type provides reporting capabilities over all users within the domain.
Supported G Suite Apps
Surveyor supports discovery on the following Google G Suite Apps:
Surveyor identifies information about the following objects within Google Drive:
Surveyor identifies information about the following objects within Gmail:
Surveyor identifies information about the following objects within Google Calendar:
Surveyor identifies information about the following objects within Google Sites:
Surveyor identifies information about the following objects within Google Groups:
Reports that will be generated must be selected during Scan configuration. Surveyor provides the following Reports for G Suite:
|Google Drive Object Totals||Provides a detailed breakdown of all objects that exist within Google Drive, organized by user.|
|Provides a detailed breakdown of all objects that exist within Gmail, organized by user.|
|Google Calendar Object Totals||Provides a detailed breakdown of all objects that exist within Google Calendar, organized by user.|
|Google Site Object Totals||Provides a detailed breakdown of all objects that exist within Google Sites, organized by user.|
|Google Group Object Totals||Provides a detailed breakdown of all Google Groups that exist.|
|Depth Report||Provides a breakdown of the depth of folders within the domain. Can be filtered by minimum and maximum depth.|
|Permissions by Object||Provides a breakdown of the sharing on each object within the domain, including external sharing. Can be filtered by minimum share count.|
|Shared Content by User Report||Provides a breakdown of all sharing by user within the domain. Can be filtered to include internal and external sharing.|
Scanning G Suite Connections
To open the Scan configuration card for your G Suite environment:
- Sign into an authorized Transformation Suite administrator account.
- Click the Reports link in the pages navigation tabs.
- Select the desired Google Service Account or G Suite (Google Apps) Connection and click the Scan button from the Connection Reports toolbar.
Configuration - G Suite Scans
The following section details the options available for configuring a Scan after clicking the Scan button from the Connection Reports toolbar.
* indicates that this setting is only available for Google Service Account Connections
The Scan Scope is used to directly set the objects that the Scan will crawl. There are two ways to configure the Scan Scope:
- Click the explore icon beside the Connection drop down menu. This will open the Connection Tree View and allow you to choose the start point for the Scan. This method will only allow a single start point for the crawl.
- Use Value Lists to upload a crawl scope CSV. For G Suite Scans, the format of the CSV is a single column list of user email addresses to crawl.
Crawl rules are advanced settings that configure how the crawler discovers objects during a crawl. G Suite Scans have the following Crawl Rules:
- Domain Discovery: Crawls all content owned by users within the Scan Scope. Domain discovery has the following sub-settings:
- Crawl Approach:
- All Owned Content: Use to discover everything owned by users within the domain.
- All Content in My Drive: Use to discover everything within the Drives of users within the domain, including files and folders owned by external users.
- Exclude Users Outside Range: Filters the crawl to user email addresses that fall within an alphabetical range. Includes the start and end value. Parameters are:
- Start Email: Any string value. Will be used as the start point for the crawl. If this is an email address for a user, it will include that user. If this value is a letter, it will include every user with an email address alphabetically following that letter. For example, the value "a -" Will include the email address email@example.com.
- End Email: Any string value. Will be used as the end point for the crawl. If this is an email address for a user, the crawl will include that user. If left empty, it will scan until the end of the collection.
- Crawl Approach:
- User Drive Discovery: Crawls each user within the Scan Scope hierarchically like a file system, discovering every object located within their Drive.
Location Crawl List
Location Crawl Lists are a Value List that restrict the scope of the Scan to the locations present in the list.
The following Location Crawl List would scan the accounts of firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org:
Scan Generator Options*
Configure the Scan generator options to control how many Scans are generated.
Users per Scan
Specifies the number of users that will be included within each generated Scan.
Best Practice: A good rule of thumb is to set the Users per Scan setting to 100.
Scan Calendar Resources*
Creates a Scan that discovers G Suite Resources. Required to generate reports on G Suite Resources.
Creates a Scan that discovers G Suite Groups. Required to generate reports on G Suite Groups.
Start Scan Immediately
Immediately places a Scan Action into the Action Queue for each Scan after generation is complete.
Generating and executing Scans
Once configuration has been completed, Scans can be generated by clicking the Save button in the configuration dialog. If the Start Scan Immediately option is selected, Scans will automatically start once the Save button is pressed
Note: Generating Scans may take a few moments. Check the status of the Scan generation by clicking the Action Viewer in the bottom right corner of the screen.
Once generated, Scans can be started at any time by the following steps:
- Click the Expand button in the row for the Connection you would like to Scan.
- Select the Scans you would like to start.
- Click the Start button from the Scans toolbar.
Once Scans have been executed, the Reports that were chosen during the Scan configuration phase can be downloaded.
Download Reports from All Scans
To download all Reports from a Connection, perform the following steps:
- Select the checkbox beside each Connection you would like to download Reports for.
Click the Download All Reports button on the Connection Reports toolbar.
Download Reports from a Single Scan
To download Reports from an individual Scan, perform the following steps:
- Click the Expand+ button on the right hand side of the Connection row containing the Scan that you would like to download Reports for.
Select the checkbox beside each Scan you would like to download Reports for.
- Click the Download button on the Scans toolbar